Starting to Mess with Texas!



Monday, February 27

I had a good night's sleep at the Bunkie Fire Department and in the morning fueled myself with the standard steel-cut oats, supplemented by one of the great rolls that Jeffrey had made for last night's dinner.  Really appreciated the great hospitality extended by the guys!

I was glad I had pushed hard the day before as the wind was coming out of the south and, unfortunately, I had a southernly direction for most of the day.  In addition, the roads today were not great.  While not heavily trafficked, they were rough and didn't have a shoulder.


A classic Louisiana above-ground cemetery was expected--and I was glad to take a shot of it--but I was surprised by the rice fields since I didn't realize they grew rice here.  These fields are very different from the Asian ones I have seen.


Even though I was making slow time, I still stopped at a Piggly Wiggly (yes, there is actually a grocery story chain with that name) in Mamou for some powdered milk, Gatorade mix, and some lunch supplies.  I then lunched in a grass lot next to the store.

Eventually, I straggled into Oberlin around 2:45, but the hotel clerk was out so I had to call him and ask him to return for my check-in.  I spent the wait orienting myself to the remaining maps, putting in the mileage for each section and tallying up the remaining miles.  It looks like I have about 2065 map miles to go.  Now I just have to decide whether to stay on the designated route or try to find a more direct route.  Or maybe even cut out some of the monotonous sections from Austin to El Paso.  :-)

Oh, and it looks like I should make it to Texas tomorrow, a state which accounts for 1069.5 of those remaining 2065 miles!

Day: 12
Time: 7 hours and 50 minutes
Distance: 64.5 miles

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 28

I started the day with a breakfast pot pie I picked up from one of those ubiquitous Dollar Stores--plus some yogurt, a banana, and mini donuts.  This kept me going for a good 30 miles until I needed a snack.

Since I was making decent time, I decided I could treat myself to a poboy in the town of  Merryville before I left Louisiana.  Shortly after leaving Merryville, I crossed into Texas.  This is the longest state on the trip: 1069.5 miles!


I also ran into my first touring couple.  Michael and Clara were heading east and planning to spend the night in Merryville.  They started back in November, and they are taking a much more leisurely trip.  Not sure I would like to be on the road that long...

Tonight I'm staying at the Kirbyville United Methodist Church.  The good people of that church open their facilities to cyclists.  I especially want to thank Jim who helped set up this arrangement.  Jim let me into the church, and we enjoyed a pleasant evening at a local Mexican restaurant.

Jim: I hope to see you back on a bike soon!

Day: 13
Time: 8 hours 50 minutes
Distance: 80.5 miles

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 1

Jim graciously met me at 5:45am so that I could make an early start.  After he got a picture of me for his records (all geared up with the bike and ready to go), I was off.  Of course, it was only after I left that I realized that I didn't get a picture of the church or Jim...

It felt good to get on the road before 6am.  Getting up at 4:30, not so good!  I had a long day ahead of me with a chance of rain and thundershowers, and I am lucky that the rain never materialized.

Going through Buna, I decided to reward myself with a couple of donuts and a coffee since I had gotten on the road so early.  The good thing about burning so many calories is that I don't feel guilty about consuming so much food.

The day started warm and got warmer with fairly high humidity.  Plus I had a fairly steady headwind to battle for most of the day.  By 2pm I was ready for a break and stopped for a big 32 oz. Coke.  I never drink soda, but I was feeling the need for some caffeine and sugar.  I'm not sure it it was the Coke or the 30-minute break, but I felt better afterwards and able to face the final 20 miles.


I decided to try a campground called Shepherd Retreat, and I'm very glad I did.  It was this cute place run by two ladies, Peaches and Connie.  It started out as a place where they could host their many nieces and nephews.  Then the nieces and nephews started bringing their friends, and it grew from there.

For lodging, I had two options: camp or a cabin.  It was looking to be a cold night, and when I was told it was $10 to camp or $20 for a cabin, I was sold.  (It had to have been a flea-infested pig sty for me to choose camping at that point.)


Luckily the cabin was very clean and comfortable.  Plus I had access to a kitchenette (no pulling out my stove--yay!), washer and dryer, plus a shower with towels (priceless, when all you have is a pack towel).  I was also given free rein to whatever I wanted to forage in the fridge.  There was some boiled crawfish and corn.  While the thought of cold crawfish wasn't appealing, after not having fresh veggies for a while, the corn looked great--and tasted amazing with the crawfish boil seasonings.

All in all, it was a terrific place to spend the night!

Day: 14
Time: 11 hours
Distance: 90 miles

(post by Will)


Comments

  1. Dude! You are going from the Pine curtain (scariest part, socially) to the hill country to the desert all in one state. I hope that they treat you well all the way through. And, I hope that you have some clear nights when you get out to West TX. The stars are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loretta! So far have been trrated great. Hoping for clear skies and weather after getting soaked the last two days in the Austin area.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Beaten Path, and Off Route

Long and Winding Road...into West Texas Wilderness

Starting Our Sabbatical Year with a Lucky Charm!